Chatelaine- Free BOW Sampler Quilt Block 80

This week I have a super easy block for you, called Maypole Dancing. This block is very quick to piece and you will probably spend more time picking the perfect fabrics than actually sewing it, but I wanted to include it, purely for my own nostalgic reasons.
I was seven when our teacher, Mrs Adams, gathered the girls around a tall white pole with gorgeous long flowing ribbons attached at the top. We were all excited and intrigued and it was then she taught us the art of the Maypole dance. The music was beautiful, the dance was feminine and energetic and after some practice, we gave a performance for our families and friends. I'm sure we got it wrong more times than we got it right, but our ribbons entwined, making gorgeous patterns and then unraveled as we retraced our steps.
I hope you have fun with this one, it is a sweet block and it may conjure a memory for you as well. Have a play around with the colour placement. I did sew one with the colours reversed and I didn't like it as much but it may work better for you and your quilt.
To download and print this weeks free pattern, just visit HERE.
And just for fun, here's an action shot of our Maypole Dance performance, taken by my proud mum (1974). I'm the one in the front, with the plaits or ponytails, flying everywhere :):
I'll be back tomorrow with my new June Mini Quilt and your free June Calendar. Happy sewing :)

2 comments

  1. Thank you for this very pretty block. Loved looking at the photo, I think kids had more fun back then, and more time to be kids. Thanks for sharing. Guida

    ReplyDelete
  2. another cute block Rose and thanks for sharing the story and photo - how adorable !

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊