Red Velvet Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream

I love eating cupcakes, I love cooking cupcakes, I love decorating cupcakes, I love looking at cupcakes....you get the general idea, so every year I like to make a batch of our favorites to help celebrate the festive season. This year I'm making some gorgeous Red Velvet Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream because these guys are just seriously amazing:


I could eat these anytime during the year but their vibrant red colour makes them so festive and they look so pretty on the table amid the Christmas decorations. If you are a lover of coconut then you will enjoy the coconut buttercream but if not you can always make a plain buttercream or go with a traditional cream cheese frosting.


The cupcakes are light and fluffy and have that special hint of chocolate, which I love so much. You could use the recipe to make cupcakes or if you prefer you could use the batter to make a large cake and decorate it festively for Christmas. I did this a few years ago because we have a couple of non fruit cake lovers in the family and they loved it.


A sprinkling of shredded coconut does finish off the cupcakes and gives that illusion of a light scattering of snow; here in Australia, we do not see snow so we improvise where we can ;)  I like to add a second wrapper to my cupcakes after they cool, just to be fancy, so you can bake them in plain ones and save your pretty Christmas themed ones for their presentation. Try mixing and matching the colours of your wrappers to suit your Christmas colour theme this year.


I made some cute little cupcake toppers from the paint samples you find at the hardware store. I cut them into trees, added a little star sticker to the top and stuck them to a toothpick with some clear tape and then there were ready to decorate my cupcakes. They can be as simple or ornate as you want and the kids will have fun helping you out. I like to use food as place cards for our table, so you could write your guest's names on the tree toppers and place a cupcake at everyone's setting.


You can wrap these individually in cellophane bags or cupcake boxes and give as gifts to family and friends or take a box to work for morning tea and share the Christmas spirit during this busy time of year.
If you would like to make your own Red Velvet Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream then you can download the recipe by clicking the link or right click on the photo's below and save to your computer for later.




I hope you and your family enjoy these delicious cupcakes during Christmas. They look amazing and trust me, they taste even better.


Happy baking :)

3 comments

  1. Thanks heaps Rose, my daughter has been asked to bake red velvet cupcakes for a friends birthday, so we will give this one a go. You are very generous. Guida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ,I have been wanting to make red velvet cupcakes for christmas, now I am going to lol, they look yummy, lots of baking in my house at christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Friend: If you continue to give me precious and delicious recipes, I will have to widen my skirts =))
    Thank you very much, I enjoy it a lot. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊