Plume Mini Quilt + Your Free July 2017 Calendar

Phew, I made it! I wasn't sure I'd be able to release a mini quilt pattern this month due to circumstances out of my control but I managed to pull it all off on the last day of the month. I don't want to go into my whole sob story of the last two weeks because everyone has issues to deal with and I'd much rather share with you something fun, pretty and sweet (and quilt related) instead. I'm so excited about this months mini quilt, so without further fluffing around, welcome the gorgeous Plume mini quilt to my pattern family:
Do you ever wake up some mornings and look in the mirror and think blah? A little fluffing, preening and plumage makes you instantly look and feel a whole lot better and ready to start the day. The feathered star is exactly the same; the feathering transforms a simple star block into something much more glamorous and beautiful. And that's not saying the star block isn't already beautiful, its just taking it to a whole new level. :)
The feathered star block has been on my wish list for ages and its not only fun to sew but it makes a stunning mini quilt. Because I'd rather not sew Y seams, I've designed it so it has none, and the mini quilt goes together quickly and easily, finishing at around 16" square.
Plume is fully paper pieced so it makes sewing all of those lovely points easier and its not too fiddly to work on as the units are large, but there are quite a few pieces in each unit.
I raided my stash for this mini and to make the feathered star really pop, I used that lovely light grey homespun as my background. This colour palette is my favorite and I use it a lot in my home decorating as well, so I'm going to use my Plume as a topper on our lounge room lamp table.
As always I have included a colouring sheet in the pattern to help you plan your fabrics and colours prior to sewing your mini, so have fun with different combinations and make your feathered star shine.
I thought I'd share a little history about the feathered star block as well. Firstly its one of the few quilt blocks that was named in the 19th century. The block was saved for "the best quilts" and it was put on the beds for guests, showcasing not only its beauty but also the sewers talent.
Originally the patterns were drawn onto newspaper and paper pieced and trust me, just drafting the pattern would have required a lot of skill. It was a great way for quilters to use up and showcase some of their more expensive scraps of fabric while producing a stunning quilt to be loved and treasured.
There are many varied feathered star designs, some with more or less feathering and some containing another star or pinwheel block in the centre. When I first drafted this mini pattern, I added a pinwheel centre but as I chose fabrics and began to sew I decided to keep the centre plain so your eye focuses on the beauty of the star and its feathering, instead of lots of added detail. Plus that navy fabric is one of my all time favorites and I really wanted to showcase it as a larger piece. Lovers of fussy cutting will have fun with this centre unit as its large enough to feature some beautiful fabrics.
I quilted my Plume mini with a silky soft grey thread and once it was done, I fell even more in love with this quilt. My favorite FMQ flower design, really adds a gorgeous texture and was perfect for this quilt.
The PDF pattern includes full step by step instructions and diagrams and full sized FPP templates. There are also additional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve or corner hangers and the colouring sheet for planning.
If you would like to make your own Plume mini quilt, from today until the end of July 2017, PDF patterns are available at the introductory price of $4.95(AU) in my Big Cartel shop HERE.
Or if you prefer an instant download, patterns are also available in my ETSY shop, HERE.
I also have your free July 2017 calendar featuring the gorgeous Plume:
To download and print your free calendar, just visit HERE.
I hope you love Plume as much as I do. I did enjoy every step in the process of bringing this quilt to you and all of the hard work was well worth it as its my new favorite mini quilt.:)
I hope you and your families have a wonderful July. Hopefully things on my end with be finally sorted in the coming days and life can return to normal for us. I guess it doesn't matter what life throws at you though as long as you're healthy, you're loved and you can make all the pretty things, then life is damn good ♥
Happy quilting :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊