Vega Mini Quilt + Your Free September 2017 Calendar

Its a story of forbidden love; a young celestial princess falls in love with a mere mortal and her father forbids the union, banishing them both to the skies where they are separated by the Celestial River (the Milky Way). Each year, on the seventh night of the seventh moon, magpies build a bridge to unite the young lovers but the trip can sometimes be treacherous. Their reunion is not always successful and the rain that falls thereafter, is said to be her tears; her name is Vega (or Tanabata), his name is Kengyu.
Love stories like these really tug at the heart strings and this Japanese myth was the inspiration behind my new monthly mini quilt design, Vega:
You can find Vega in the little constellation Lyra and its recognizable for its brilliance and blue and white colour. I chose a gorgeous palette of Charleston and Les Petits fabrics from Amy Sinibaldi, for my mini quilt and I think they are a stunning representation of this gorgeous star.
Vega is a fully paper pieced pattern with large pieces so you will be able to showcase some pretty fabrics. There were a couple of ways I could construct the templates for this mini but I chose the one without Y seams, because I'm nice to you :) Due to its geometric shape, the templates might look a little odd but trust me, sew on the solid lines and Vega will go together quickly and easily, finishing at around 16" square.
The PDF pattern comes with a colouring sheet for choosing fabrics/colours prior to sewing (and I understand some of you like printing up extra copies to give to the kids/grandkids as colouring pages, awesome!), plus full step by step instructions and diagrams. Pay close attention to the diagrams as you work through this pattern, to ensure you have the correct orientation of the units as you sew this mini quilt together.
There's also optional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve or corner hangers but how beautiful would this design look as a cushion front? I'm thinking of making up a few so I can bring the night sky into our lounge room.
I quilted my Vega mini with an all over loopy meander pattern, using a soft, silky white thread. I didn't want to overpower the design but I also wanted to give it that gorgeous texture. I finished my mini with the matching navy binding and I'm looking forward to adding this one to my mini wall.
I love its design, I love those fabrics and I really love its simplicity, its a stunning mini quilt :)
If you would like to make your own version of my Vega mini quilt, from today until the end of September 2017, PDF patterns are available at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU) in my Big Cartel shop, HERE.
Or if you prefer an instant download, they are also available in my Etsy shop HERE.
I also have your free September 2017 calender featuring the gorgeous Vega:
To download and print your free calendar, just visit HERE.
I'm pretty sure you know by now that I have a fascination with all things astronomy. Its a love I've shared with my son since he was really little and we regularly view the night sky through his telescope. We are constantly learning more and more about stars, constellations, planets etc. and its a wonderful hobby to share, plus its great inspiration for quilt designing.
I hope you enjoy Vega :)
Happy quilting :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊